TEN WEEK TRAINING COURSE
Dates: 12th January 2016 – 22nd March 2016
Time: 9:30 – 12:30
Venue: Gwent Visual Impairment, Cwmbran NP44 3AB
Cost: £100 (to cover materials and accreditation fees)
This course trains Teachers, Assistants and Speech and Language Therapy Assistants working with children with Speech, Language and Communication difficulties in school.
All ten sessions must be fully attended. There is a requirement for course participants to complete weekly homework tasks for the accredited course portfolio.
There is also a COMPULSORY requirement for 1 relevant school staff (SENCO/ Head of phase/SEAL coordinator) to attend a 2 day overview course, included in the cost (see below for course details).
The course runs for 10 sessions:
12/01/2016 Session 1 What is communication?
19/01/2016 Session 2 Memory and learning
26/01/2016 Session 3 Learning styles and motivation
02/02/2016 Session 4 Promoting vocabulary development
09/02/2016 Session 5 Understanding and using sentences
23/02/2016 Session 6 Understanding abstract language
01/03/2016 Session 7 Promoting effective communication and social skills 1
08/03/2016 Session 8 Promoting effective communication and social skills 2
15/03/2016 Session 9 Articulation, phonological awareness and spelling
22/03/2016 Session 10 Linking it all together
What will I receive?
- Teaching from qualified speech and language therapists and advisory teacher. Training to support the communication of all students but especially those with speech and language difficulties in primary settings.
- ELKLAN book ‘Language Builders’ which forms the core reading material for the course. It is full of practical advice and ideas.
- APT Awards Open College Network Accreditation (9 Credits)
- Support needed to write a portfolio to achieve accreditation through the Open College Network.
- Opportunities to meet other assistants and teachers and receive support
TWO DAY COURSE
Date: 11/02/2016 & 03/08/2016
Time: 9.30am – 4pm
Venue: Gwent Visual Impairment, Cwmbran, NP44 3AB
Cost: £25 (for Elklan book, please order at time of booking and provide invoice details).
This course provides an overview of Speech, Language and Communication needs in Secondary pupils.
It aims to help SENCO’S/AENCO’s and Teachers identify, support and develop skills of these pupils by fully utilising school staff and available resources and to support staff attending the 10 week course.
WHAT WILL I RECEIVE?
Teaching from qualified speech and language therapists and advisory teachers. They provide training to support the communication of all students but especially those with speech and language difficulties in settings for 11-16’s.
Information, strategies and resources from ELKLAN training resources. Aspects covered will include:
- The range of difficulties pupils may have
- The impact of difficulties on pupils in school
- The components of language and communication
- Problems pupils may encounter in tasks and texts
- How to make the curriculum more accessible
- Promoting effective communication and social skills
PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH