THREE WEEK TRAINING COURSE
Dates: 30/01/19, 20/02/19, 27/03/19
Time: 9.15am – 4pm
Venue: Torfaen (Location will be confirmed upon booking)
Cost: £125 (to cover materials and accreditation fees)
This course trains Teachers, Assistants and Speech and Language Therapy Assistants working with children with Speech, Language and Communication difficulties in school.
All ten sessions must be fully attended. There is a requirement for course participants to complete weekly homework tasks for the accredited course portfolio.
Course content includes:
- What is communication?
- Non verbal communication, listening and attention skill
- Memory and independent learning
- Modifying adult’s speech to help a child understand
- Understanding beyond simple sentences
- Promoting vocabulary development
- Encouraging expressive language and narrative
- Promoting effective interaction and social skills
- Supporting children with unclear speech and linking speech
- Linking it all together
What will I receive?
- Teaching from qualified speech and language therapists and advisory teacher. Training to support the communication of all students but especially those with speech and language difficulties in primary settings.
- ELKLAN book ‘Language Builders’ which forms the core reading material for the course. It is full of practical advice and ideas.
- APT Awards Open College Network Accreditation (9 Credits)
- Support needed to write a portfolio to achieve accreditation through the Open College Network.
- Opportunities to meet other assistants and teachers and receive support
TWO DAY TRAINING COURSE
Cost: £25(for Elklan book, please order at time of booking and provide invoice details).
This course trains Teachers of children with Speech, Language and Communication difficulties, to identify support and develop the skills of these pupils by fully utilising school staff and available resources.
What will I receive?
- Teaching from qualified speech and language therapists and advisory teachers. They provide training to support the communication of all students but especially those with speech and language difficulties in primary settings.
- Information, strategies and resources from ELKLAN training programme.
Aspects covered include:
- Introduction to normal communication?
- Understanding the importance of non-verbal communication.
- Development of attention skills.
- Using Information Carrying Words to help memory and understanding.
- Language for Learning – the Blank Language Scheme.
- Understanding linguistic concepts.
- Mind Mapping.
- Developing vocabulary.
- Modelling and encouraging the use of sentences.
- Sequencing ideas and telling stories.
- Using story grids.
- Promoting effective communication and social interaction.
- Supporting children with unclear speech.
- The link between language and literacy.
PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH