*** WE DO NOT CURRENTLY HAVE ANY SESSIONS BOOKED – PLEASE KEEP CHECKING BACK FOR UPDATES ***
TEN WEEK TRAINING COURSE
Venue: Brecon House Cwmbran
Cost: £100 (to cover materials and accreditation fees)
This course trains Teachers, Assistants and Speech and Language Therapy Assistants working with children with Speech, Language and Communication difficulties in school.
All ten sessions must be fully attended. There is a requirement for course participants to complete weekly homework tasks for the accredited course portfolio.
There is also a COMPULSORY requirement for 1 relevant school staff (SENCO/ Head of phase/SEAL coordinator) to attend a 2 day overview course, included in the cost (SEE BELOW FOR DETAILS).
The course runs for 10 sessions:
22/05/2015 Session 1 What is communication?
29/05/2015 Session 2 Non verbal communication, listening and attention skill
06/05/2015 Session 3 Memory and independent learning
13/05/2015 Session 4 Modifying adult’s speech to help a child understand
20/05/2015 Session 5 Understanding beyond simple sentences
03/06/2015 Session 6 Promoting vocabulary development
10/06/2015 Session 7 Encouraging expressive language and narrative
17/06/2015 Session 8 Promoting effective interaction and social skills
24/06/2015 Session 9 Supporting children with unclear speech and linking speech
01/07/2015 Session 10 Linking it all together
What will I receive?
- Teaching from qualified speech and language therapists and advisory teacher. Training to support the communication of all students but especially those with speech and language difficulties in primary settings.
- ELKLAN book ‘Language Builders’ which forms the core reading material for the course. It is full of practical advice and ideas.
- APT Awards Open College Network Accreditation (9 Credits)
- Support needed to write a portfolio to achieve accreditation through the Open College Network.
- Opportunities to meet other assistants and teachers and receive support
TWO DAY TRAINING COURSE
Venue: Gwent Visual Impairment, Llantarnam, Cwmbran, NP44 3AB
Cost: £25(for Elklan book, please order at time of booking and provide invoice details).
This course trains Teachers of children with Speech, Language and Communication difficulties, to identify support and develop the skills of these pupils by fully utilising school staff and available resources. There is a COMPULSORY requirement for 1 relevant school staff (SENCO/ Head of Phase/ SEAL Coordinator) to attend this 2 day course prior to sending any staff on the 10 week course.
What will I receive?
- Teaching from qualified speech and language therapists and advisory teachers. They provide training to support the communication of all students but especially those with speech and language difficulties in primary settings.
- Information, strategies and resources from ELKLAN training programme.
Aspects covered include:
- Introduction to normal communication?
- Understanding the importance of non-verbal communication.
- Development of attention skills.
- Using Information Carrying Words to help memory and understanding.
- Language for Learning – the Blank Language Scheme.
- Understanding linguistic concepts.
- Mind Mapping.
- Developing vocabulary.
- Modelling and encouraging the use of sentences.
- Sequencing ideas and telling stories.
- Using story grids.
- Promoting effective communication and social interaction.
- Supporting children with unclear speech.
- The link between language and literacy.
PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH